Within our immediate reach was Rohan’s father. He has been living with Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) for over a decade and has developed a system that allows him to keep it under control without medication. In addition, he is a technologist at heart with immense product and marketing experience that we found very valuable.
To initiate our conversation, we asked him what he considered to be the main pain points associated with T2D. He listed the following questions as the key things to hit when trying to truly control diabetes.
- Do I know my body and how it is affected by things I do?
- What changes do I need to make (with respect to diet & exercise)?
- How can I do these in real-time (i.e. go for a walk after every meal)?
- Am I diligent in my monitoring practices (in most cases, no)?
- Am I learning from my past, and other people, and applying it to my future?
- Am I communicating with my managed network (i.e. endocrinologist, family, close friends)?
In addition to the insight he provided to how he thinks about diabetes, we gained a lot from his overarching advice on how to approach marketing, provided his immense experience. He pushed the importance of viewing the “whole product”, which meant all the ancillary tangents that affect what you are creating/offering.
Finally, he agreed to be an alpha tester!